PlayStation 5, what are your expectations for the next generation?

gabor434

1 hour ago, jrdemr said:

The return of the XMB

I would love this to happen, but my hopes are low :(

The menu was just perfect, everything had a logical place where you could find it. In PS4 menu, I still strugle to find some settings. On PS3 I remember where is everything.

On PS3 basic tasks are quicker to find and do.

On PS3 to turn off a controller you had to press and hold PS button and push down 3 times and then X.

On PS4, press and hold PS, look for devices and accesories, select the dualshock, go through another menu and then press X and then X again.

Which of these do you prefer?

• Like 1

I don't want backwards compatability, just everything to be available on the store. I'd like the standard model to have at least 2-3 times the hard drive space as PS4, and more efficient controllers. I'm fine with that, anything else is a bonus.

Can't see it coming any earlier than Fall '19.

Edited by g-bake_1986

First of all, this is a very quick console cycle (not complaining or anything). Secondly, less crashes, A few games that I've been playing in particular; Darksiders 2: Deathinitive edition and the base game for XCOM 2. The PS3 freezes up sometimes when there is too much on screen going on but, really on the PS4 (I don't have the slim or pro).

What I expect from a console is to have physical releases. If a console has digital games only, I won't buy it. SAme for online mandatory, won't buy that either. What I want is to be able to delete all the social media crap apps and things like spotify. Custom avatars would be nice.

What I don't need is 4K or backwards compatibility. I don't have a 4K TV, and I definitely won't buy one just to play a few games.

I have my expectations for PS5:

I will probably come out at IX 2020

I hope it will use physical copies of games. I live in Poland and digital content on PS Store is so expensive!

It will run at least 1440p 60 fps, but it will be QUITE!!

More space on standard hard drive.

Backward compatibility with PS3, as my old console is a bit like vacuum cleaner. And of course with PS1 and PS2. And PS4.

I do not like user interface at PS4, I prefer much more the one from PS3.

Better lunch titles than Knack (1) and Driveclub.

15 hours ago, jrdemr said:

The thing is, 4K is something some people really clamor for, but very few of them would actually notice the difference from 2K or even 1080p. For you to even notice the difference, you would have to be very close to the screen, and by then, the experience would be similar to that of sitting on the first row of a movie theater (which coincidentally are the only places that actually would benefit from 4K). Sure, your games would look super nice up close, but you'd end up finishing every session with one hell of a stiff neck.

Not to mention, running a steady, native 4K is really taxing on a games console, so it would really hike up the price and make it unnecessarily big. Plus, it would require additional optimization and texture work on the part of developers and I really don't want to give publishers any more excuses to pull off the "games are so expensive, that's why we have to use season passes, excessive DLC, 30 different special editions, microtransactions and loot boxes" card.

The thing is, 4K is something that TV manufacturers are trying to push on us because they are growing desperate. Since people only really buy a new TV every 10-20 years, they're desperately trying to sell us some new gimmick so that we'll upgrade sooner. Most people don't even have TVs large enough to benefit from 4K, and again, even if they did, they wouldn't even be able to notice the difference unless they were sitting really close.

Not to mention, 4K is extremely unwieldy. The file sizes are way too big, so you would have to use Blu-Ray XL to even store it all - and they're a hell of a lot more expensive than double layer Blu-Ray. Even if you went digital, those files would take up tons of space on your hard-drive, which would force either the console manufacturers or the consumers to pony up for a bigger hard drive. Either way, you'd be the one paying the bill in the end. Even for streaming, the file sizes are so unnecessarily big that they'd have to be compressed to even be feasible... which kinda defeats the whole point of 4K.

Basically, we've been fed the narrative that we all need 4K when it's in all of our interests to just stick to 1080p. I very much doubt it will become the standard anytime soon.

Wow, a very long and intelligent reply! :)

Anyways, i see your point and i agree in some things, like the TV manufacturers are trying to push 4K and that its not a big difference if you are watching a TV from a distance.

But the thing is that Sony is also a TV manufacturer and they will surely push for 4K either way. They already tried to sell the PS4 Pro as a 4K machine(even tho its not), it wouldn't make sense if they went with just 1080P for their next console now.

If they are gonna make a 4K console, i want the full experience now, with 60FPS. Like i said before, i dont mind if not all of the games can do native 4K and thats kind of expected anyways, cos there are always some shitty devs out there who cant optimize their games.

Another thing is that, the PS5 should be designed for the next console cycle, which might take 6-7 years again, and maybe in 2020-21 4K TVs wont be that widespread yet, but i think that in the coming years after that, manufacturer will slowly stop making 1080P TVs and monitors, so by the second half of the generation 4K will become widespread.

Like i said at the end of my first post, i wouldnt like another mid generation console again (like the PS4 Pro), so i would rather have Sony make a powerful PS5 which can do 4K and it can last till the end of the generation.

You forgot to mention monitors and well maybe not a lot of console gamers use them, but personally i played all of my consoles on a FullHD monitor. (X360,PS3,PS4) And in case of monitors resolution matters a lot, even just the 900P games look a lot blurrier on my PS4 compared to 1080P games and my PS3 and X360 games look awful in 720P. I still play them cos graphics is not the only thing that matters, but if 4K monitors will become a thing and i upgrade, i dont think i will anymore. (At least not on monitor)

Honestly, i dont think that size is a problem,the big AAA PS4 games already take up somewhere between 30-70GB of space, for 4K you only need higer resolution textures, while the game code will mostly stay the same. And some games only take up that much space cos they use uncompressed audio files. (like Wolfeinstein the new order) There are many compressing techniques out there, devs can lower the games sizes with them if they want. Though the game sizes will still increase, but i dont think they will go over 100GB.

Sony basically owns Blu-Ray, so they can start mass producing 100GB disks whenever they want and that will cut down the cost, but even if thats not a viable option, they can just stay with 50GB disks and make games with 2 disks, one install disk, one play disk. Games need 100% install anyway, so it doesnt matter how many disk they use for one game.

I think i made my point clear now. I also understand why would you stay with 1080P, but i dont think that Sony will think about it that way. They have to sell their 4K TV-s somehow. ?

Whatever Sony will decide to do, the most important thing for me will be physical games for the PS5, if they will decide to go for full digital, i will be very mad and i'll consider going back to PC gaming, at least as a main platform.

Only thing I want is better games. I think PS4 has been a huge let down when it comes to games, too many companies trying to push Gold Edition games focussing on how much they can milk from people and not enough high quality fun games. I can't even think of a game on the PS4 where I have spent hours and hours playing on my own or with friends. A lot of the time it has been complete once and that's it done. The PS3 I had Borderlands 2 which was super fun with friends, MW2 again fun MP, GTA IV fun MP,  Burnout Paradise fun MP. Then you have all the in game microtransaction rubbish on PS4. As for the PS5 console itself, It will just be even more powerful console and they will still be trying to push 4k and VR super hard. 

• Like 2

I see many of your points, @gabor434, but I just wanted to comment on these:

1 hour ago, gabor434 said:

There are many compressing techniques out there, devs can lower the games sizes with them if they want. Though the game sizes will still increase, but i dont think they will go over 100GB.

Sony basically owns Blu-Ray, so they can start mass producing 100GB disks whenever they want and that will cut down the cost, but even if thats not a viable option, they can just stay with 50GB disks and make games with 2 disks, one install disk, one play disk. Games need 100% install anyway, so it doesnt matter how many disk they use for one game.

1. Again, if the files need to be compressed, it kinda defeats the entire purpose of 4K.
  2. If physical games start shipping with 2 Blu-Ray discs... again, that would make manufacturing them more expensive.

Let's see where the future takes us. I stand by my points and I'm pretty sure most people don't really care about 4K, and for the few that do (or think they do), most of them wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. I think 4K is way too much of a pain to ever become mainstream. I think the only people that truly care about it are hardcore videophiles, and even some of those are probably content with 1080p.

In my opinion, 4K is going to go the same way 3D television went - a novelty TV manufacturers tried to sell us on but that nobody truly cared about and went forgotten in a matter of months.

PlayStation 5

Include a DualShock 5 and a 10ft USB C charging cable.

Launch in 2020 with a slightly late 25th anniversary gray PS1 color scheme.

DualShock 5

Same physical shape as DS4, but something under L2 and R2 for when resting the controller.

No touchpad, but keep options and share buttons and bring back select button.

Keep the speaker.

USB C charging port, and operate as wired when connected to console.

User swappable battery that lasts at least 12 hours on a full charge of regular use.

Keep a multicolored indicator light, but ditch the light bar.

Option to store your PSN profile information on controller itself, for automatic sign-ins (like Xbox One) and portability (like Wii’s Miis).

Switch-esque “HD Rumble” equivalent.

PlayStation Network

Spin off PlayStation Plus into a $25 multiplayer and discount subscription and a $50 “Instant Game Collection” version.

Cross-platform multiplayer openness with Xbox LIVE and Nintendo.

• Like 1

What I want

1. Backward compatible with at least the PS4, even better if it had PS3. I know this is highly unlikely as it was on the PS4.
  2. Including PS Now into the PS Plus subscription to at least stream games if not backward compatible (highly unlikely again...), or maybe having it cheaper for PS Plus users. 
  3. Being able to stand up vertically without the need for a separate stand
  4. Being able to share games across users easily without the need for making any primary or whatever like the PS3.
  5. Do away with long loading times in some games like FFXV
  6. More social media connectivity and sharing, not just Twitter. Instagram, Facebook (used to be there, but seems to have ended), YouTube, Tumblr etc. 
  7. Keep the region free Blu Ray player like the first PS4 and PS4 slim models
  8. A greater and better selection of themes and avatars, as I find the current PS4's selection is not that great. 
  9. Being able to transfer photos from a memory stick to use as your PS cover photo/profile picture instead of being limited to screenshots
  10. No more than £350~380 (that's about $500 I think)
  11. More colours from the start as opposed to introducing other colours like white ages after. At least have black and white at launch.

What I expect 

1. Better graphics/ 4K, processor, more VR stuff, general hardware improvements etc. The usual stuff that gets better with each generation
  2. Increase in DL only games with the slow end of physical copies
  3. More games being only half complete with the rest of the story or extra episodes as paid DLC (aka FFXV style, still releasing stuff over a year after release....)
  4. More games with online trophies (I hope not...)
  5. Games getting easier and shorter in general as companies focus more on visuals and making the game look like a movie (maybe excluding all those long and hard JRPGs). 

- 100% backwards compatibility with the PS4 (pop the disc in or download your digital library onto it)

- New UI design that's a lot faster/responsive and shows more useful stuff across my screen, I thought the PS4 UI was great at launch but after the X1 UI changes my PS4 feels slow and unresponsive at times to get anywhere, I actually would love to see them refining the UI now on the PS4 ready to carry over to the PS5 actually.

- $499 price point, I see a lot wanting a $399 PS5 but I feel it will be very lacking in the power department that the PS5 needs to go launch with a  $499 price point (X1X just launched with that) but 2-3 years after should be enough for a good boost in power.

Real jump ahead in terms of graphics and power, unlike PS1 -> PS2, etc.

No social media junk

Better cooling system, there's no point trying to make the console as small as possible and then end up having a jet in your room

Optimalised PS Store (what a garbage that site is)

Option to connect external HDD with a regular file browser to copy screenshots/videos

More than two USB ports

and for the love of God, let us change the country of residency. Even if I had to send them proof of address or whatever.

Edited by theSpirae

I wanna see 64k Resolution with 144 FPS min.

And it has to shit golden bricks and should'nt cost more than 500 Bucks. Sony could at least do that for it's loyal Fanbase!!!!

Oh and Zelda: Breath of the Wild as a PS Plus title would be neat. What? Why not? Moooooooooooooom

All kidding aside, I'd like to see a system-wide option for 1080p/60, like in the OS. So devs can't just not deliver that option.

Backward comp. has to be a thing, at the very fucking least for PS4 games. Otherwise I will switch to Nintendo  (You see what I did there??) and Microsoft. Seriously, I won't buy half of my library again just so that a bunch of chinese men can fist themselves with my money.

It could even only be for digital games, I don't care. I just want to see Sony acknowledging.

Because this time they can't bring some sorry hardware excuse like they did with PS3.

Edited by Joker