Trophies to Fight Cancer 2023 (No more submissions)

4 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Anyways, for tax purposes, I will likely not be donating the total amount until January (unless I end up with a ton of medical bills in the last month of the year *knocks on wood*), but if people will like proof of my donation, I can show it to them after that. Though, part of me wants to just double the donation and donate now to the Jimmy V foundation with college basketball going on and again in January to the American Cancer Society team I am part of. Eh, I'll think on it...

If anyone has any ideas to spice up the event for next year or has any suggestions, feel free to let us know. I think there are already a few things we may do like re-evaluating all the denied games and updating the current list as popular games come out and use the same list next year. However, if there is something else you would like to specifically be changed, we can at least consider it. Worst we can do is say now (just like any of the submissions, haha)

I'll ask as I'm not sure, but in regards to donors such as myself, how would we go about that? Like is there a particular charity or organisation we're donating to? If proof of my donation is needed, then that's perfectly fine too. 

Can't wait to see what next year's event will be like! 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Maxine said:

I'll ask as I'm not sure, but in regards to donors such as myself, how would we go about that? Like is there a particular charity or organisation we're donating to? If proof of my donation is needed, then that's perfectly fine too. 

Can't wait to see what next year's event will be like! 

I don't think proof of donation is necessary as this is your personal commitment. No one should hold you accountable except yourself and if anyone is faking a commitment to donate to people in need for internet fame... well, I don't need to explain further and I don't think any reasonable person would do something like that.

In regards to where to donate to, that's up to you. There are SEVERAL amazing places to donate to that all fight cancer that I have mentioned in the thread previously (quoted below).

If you live in the EU, you'll probably have similar organizations there to donate to that I'm not aware of, but it would be disingenuous to force everyone to donate to the same place because that's not the important part of this... it's the bigger picture of ending this horrid disease and to help others suffering from it no matter where you live in the world

On 11/22/2023 at 6:58 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

There's really a few options you can donate to... all worthy causes fighting the good fight and really no bad answers.

The Jimmy V foundation is a good one. Originally found by ESPN years ago in honor of Jimmy Valvano who was a former college coach and ESPN announcer. 

The American Cancer Society is also a very reputable organization that has been helping with research and those battling Cancer for years.

St. Jude is also a great place to donate to who specializes in helping children with cancer and donations make it so that no parent is ever charged for their child's treatment. 

What I'm saying is that there is no wrong places to donate. I donate to a specific team I am on in the American Cancer Society as part of Relay for Life, and as much as I would love to share the link and have a bunch of people donate to my team directly, I have received too many death threats or weird cryptic messages from (former) members of PSNP who have no business knowing what my name is and where I roughly live. Better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I don't think proof of donation is necessary as this is your personal commitment. No one should hold you accountable except yourself and if anyone is faking a commitment to donate to people in need for internet fame... well, I don't need to explain further and I don't think any reasonable person would do something like that.

In regards to where to donate to, that's up to you. There are SEVERAL amazing places to donate to that all fight cancer that I have mentioned in the thread previously (quoted below).

If you live in the EU, you'll probably have similar organizations there to donate to that I'm not aware of, but it would be disingenuous to force everyone to donate to the same place because that's not the important part of this... it's the bigger picture of ending this horrid disease and to help others suffering from it no matter where you live in the world

Thanks for clearing that up Grave, I thought I'd ask since this is my first time partaking in this particular event. I shall research to see what organisations there are. Regardless of where it goes, it will no doubt make a difference to those facing such tough battles and their loved ones. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Maxine said:

Thanks for clearing that up Grave, I thought I'd ask since this is my first time partaking in this particular event. I shall research to see what organisations there are. Regardless of where it goes, it will no doubt make a difference to those facing such tough battles and their loved ones. 

No problem! Unfortunately, I can't really help you in that regard or others outside of North America.

If you are struggling to find somewhere to donate to, let me know, and I can do a bit of research myself or ask around.

But, as you said, there should be plenty of good places to donate to in your neck of the woods!

I can also explain U.S. tax and why it's more beneficial for me to finalize my donation in January vs December (I am a certified public accountant 🤓), but I don't really want to bore everyone with the details unless you have insomnia. 😆

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the event and for the badge! I haven't done much this year since it was tough to find something color appropriate that I'd want to play at least a little. I'll try to do better next year. 

Much respect for running the event. With the time and effort it takes to make gaming more fun for people and support a cause at the same time, events like these are hands down the most positive thing I've experienced on this website. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maxine said:

I shall research to see what organisations there are. Regardless of where it goes, it will no doubt make a difference to those facing such tough battles and their loved ones. 

Assuming you're still UK based, here's a couple:

The one I gave to last year was Cancer Research UK.

And I've also been to the ward funded by Teenage Cancer Trust, where they focus on cancer research for people aged between 16-24 (which is thankfully quite rare) as well as an environment that will make their time in hospital much more pleasant. When I did work on that ward a few years back there was a PS4 by all the beds.

2 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

Now for some (hopefully) interesting stats about this event! 

Hilarious Statsy GIFs. Also, factually helpful but not hilarious GIFs.

Now just one final thanks to all the folks running this event! :D 

Edited by Breakingthegreen
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Breakingthegreen said:

Assuming you're still UK based, here's a couple:

The one I gave to last year was Cancer Research UK.

And I've also been to the ward funded by Teenage Cancer Trust, where they focus on cancer research for people aged between 16-24 (which is thankfully quite rare) as well as an environment that will make their time in hospital much more pleasant. When I did work on that ward a few years back there was a PS4 by all the beds.

These both sound awesome, not gonna lie!

Maybe next year I'll provide some links in the OP for people to donate to, but I'll need a lot of help from others to compile a good list (and others to verify them)

• Like 2

I'm really sorry I didn't post until now, this week was crazy and I forgot about the new month coming in and the event.

I don't know if it counts, but I completed Spiderman: Miles Morales 10 days ago, way before the deadline, so that would make orange. I totally forgot about Unpacking, but it doesn't matter, I'll donate those 2$ myself, along with the small donation I promised before.

Thanks @Beyondthegrave07 as always for being an amazing moderator, and a better person, making this event that along with the mental health event, is the only one that raises money for causes like this.

Great job also @DrBloodmoney with the badges. If you still have the resources to make another one for me and forgive my horrible timing that'd be great lol.

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jeanolt said:

Great job also @DrBloodmoney with the badges. If you still have the resources to make another one for me and forgive my horrible timing that'd be great lol.

That's no problem - once you have your final count confirmed, PM me with the numbers, and I'll make a new one 👍

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jeanolt said:

I'm really sorry I didn't post until now, this week was crazy and I forgot about the new month coming in and the event.

I don't know if it counts, but I completed Spiderman: Miles Morales 10 days ago, way before the deadline, so that would make orange. I totally forgot about Unpacking, but it doesn't matter, I'll donate those 2$ myself, along with the small donation I promised before.

Thanks @Beyondthegrave07 as always for being an amazing moderator, and a better person, making this event that along with the mental health event, is the only one that raises money for causes like this.

Sorry, the reason why I have the deadline and even had (Starrk_01 tag everyone) was to avoid situations like this so I won't be including it in the count on the spreadsheet... but at the same time, I'll round up to $750 when donating so in spirit it will!

However, if @DrBloodmoney wants to  update it for the spirit of the event, I will leave that decision on him as I am indifferent on it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That's no problem - once you have your final count confirmed, PM me with the numbers, and I'll make a new one 👍

Not sure if my opinion will do anything since @Beyondthegrave07 already said he is indifferent on a badge being made, but I'll throw the slightest push on "if you can make a badg please do" for @Jeanolt since they said they are going to donate.

• Like 3

This was amazing to be a part of. The numbers are seriously impressive. Well done guys!

I donated to The American Cancer Society which @Beyondthegrave07 linked me to privately. It's a drop in the ocean compared to your contributions, but every bit helps.

Thanks @DrBloodmoney for my 1st-ever badge! It's awesome 😍 Hopefully 1st of many..

Spoiler

qbM3zJa.jpg

Edited by jsisoo
spolier
  • Like 4